Linux Shell Scripting Course
Whether you are a Linux system administrator, a developer or a power user, you spend a lot of time on repetitive tasks. You can increase your productivity and save hours by learning to write efficient shell scripts that automate simple and complex processes.
|Duration:||3 days. Courses are presented from 08:30 to 16:30.|
|Investment:||R6,300.00 excluding VAT per delegate.|
|Venue:||The Incus Data Training Venue in Centurion, Pretoria. Courses can also be presented on-site for 5 or more delegates.|
|Dates:||Please check the course schedule for the next available date.
You can also contact us at tel: (+27) 12-666-2020 or cell/WhatsApp: (+27) 76-694-7705, or email us at email@example.com to find out about dates that suit you.
Please fill in this form if you would like us to contact you about your training requirements, or if you would like to be kept informed of dates for the Linux Shell Scripting course.
Fields marked with * are required.
Incus Data does not sell or otherwise distribute email addresses. We will not divulge your personal information to anyone unless specifically authorised by you.
Audience: Is This The Right Course For Me?
You should attend the Linux Shell Scripting course if:
- You are a programmer working on Linux and you want to automate some of your processes.
- You are a Linux system administrator and you want to write shell scripts to automate tasks.
- You are a Linux power user and you want to be able to read and write shell scripts for your own work.
Prerequisites: Am I Ready For The Course?
Before you attend the Linux Shell Scripting course:
- You should have some experience using a command-line interface and a text editor.
- You should have some experience with the Linux operating system.
- It would be beneficial if you have some programming experience.
Please ensure you meet the prerequisites for this course before you attend. Read the importance of course prerequisites to understand why this is necessary.
If you are not sure which is the right course for you, please call us. We will be happy to advise you, based on your training goals and your experience.
Objectives: What Will I Learn?
After you have completed the Linux Shell Scripting course, you will be able to:
- Understand how you can use shell scripts to increase productivity.
- Read and write shell scripts that automate tasks.
- Read and write shell scripts that control command-line processes.
- Understand and use the power of regular expressions.
- Increase your daily productivity by using tools like sed and awk.
Technical Contents: What Does The Course Cover?
- Posix standards, shell concepts and versions.
- Advantages and uses of shell scripts.
- Customising your shell.
- Basic shell commands and options.
- File and directory manipulation.
- Standard Input / Output / Error.
- Processes, pipes and redirection.
- Basic security model — permissions and file modes.
- Script Basics
- Shells scripts vs an interactive shell.
- Creating and running a script.
- Console control.
- Creating portable scripts.
- Common pitfalls and good practices.
- Scripting Syntax
- Comment syntax.
- Operators: assignment, comparison, logicl, arithmetic, string.
- Selection (conditional) statements.
- Iterative statements.
- Functions, parameters and return values.
- File globbing.
- Regular Expressions
- Regular expression concepts and principles.
- Character classes.
- Splitting text.
- grep & map functions.
- Programming with sed
- Basic syntax and commands.
- Special characters.
- Pattern buffer and pattern range.
- Programming with awk
- Awk versions.
- Typical uses of awk.
- Awk workflow and commands.
- Standard variables.
- Control statements.
- Built-in and user-defined functions.
- Bash extensions.
- Advanced parameter expansion.
- Conditional blocks.
- I/O redirection.
- Additional Programming Topics
- GCC (GNU compiler).
- Make files.
- AutoConf and AutoMake.
- Kernel compilation.
- Processes & threads.
- Socket programming.
- X programming.
Testimonials: What Other Delegates Say About This Course
This is a new course.
To get an idea of the quality you can expect, look at the testimonials for other related courses that we offer.
How Do I Book?
After we have received your booking, we will send you a confirmation that you are booked on the course, an invoice and directions to the venue.
Tip: Most PDF readers, other than Adobe Reader, will let you save the form with the data you have entered. If you are using Adobe Reader, however, you might not be able to do this. But don't despair: when you have typed in the information, just print the file to PDF - and you'll have a completed enrolment form ready to email to us.