Android Development Course
Android is the mobile operating system from Google that runs on many smart phones and tablets. There are already thousands of applications (or apps) that run on Android. This course will teach you how to create your own Android apps. You will learn how the Android development process works, how to write simple GUI applications, how to work with data and how to use the built-in components.
|Duration:||5 days. Courses are presented from 08:30 to 16:30.|
|Investment:||R10,900.00 excluding VAT per delegate. Prices valid from 1 February 2018.|
|Venue:||The Incus Data Training Venue in Centurion, Pretoria. Courses can also be presented on-site for 5 or more delegates.|
|Dates:||Please check the course schedule for the next available date. You can also contact us at tel: (+27) 12 666 2020 or email us at email@example.com to find out about dates.|
Please fill in this form if you would like us to contact you about your training requirements, or if you would like to be kept informed of dates for the Android Development course.
Fields marked with * are required.
Incus Data does not sell or otherwise distribute email addresses. We will not divulge your personal information to anyone unless specifically authorised by you.
Audience: Is This The Right Course For Me?
You should attend the Android Development course if:
- You are a Java programmer and you want to learn to develop applications that run on Android devices.
- You are a Java programmer and you need to support Android code.
Prerequisites: Am I Ready For The Course?
Before you attend the Android Development course:
- You must have attended our Java Programming course or already be comfortable with the fundamentals of the Java programming language.
- You should have at least 6 months practical experience programming in Java.
Please ensure you meet the prerequisites for the Android Development Course before you attend the course. Read the importance of course prerequisites to understand why this is necessary.
Objectives: What Will I Learn?
After you have completed the Android Development course, you will be able to:
- Understand the Android development process and how to use emulators.
- Understand the Android architecture, SDK and software stack.
- Create simple applications that run on Android devices.
- Access and use the Android file system.
- Use view containers, layouts and widgets.
- Understand how to create multimedia applications.
Technical Contents: What Does The Course Cover?
- Android Overview
- Android system architecture.
- Dalvik Virtual Machine and the .apk file extension.
- Building blocks - Activities, Services, Broadcast Receivers, Content providers.
- UI Components - Views and Notifications.
- Communication components - Intents and Intent Filters.
- Android API levels (versions and version names).
- SDK Overview
- Platforms and required tools.
- Android Development Tools (ADT) as Eclipse plugins
- Android Virtual Device (AVD) emulators.
- Developing Apps
- Application and Activity lifecycle.
- A Hello World app as a first project.
- Manifest file and resource layout.
- Execution on an emulator.
- Deployment to a physical Android device.
- Communicating and switching between Activities.
- Android Storage
- Android Storage Options.
- Internal and external storage, and file I/O.
- SQLite and Content Providers.
- Web communication and storage.
- View Containers, Layouts, Listeners
- Layout options - linear, relative, table, custom layouts.
- List views.
- Listeners, long clicks and keyboard listeners.
- Custom and toggle buttons.
- Checkboxes and radio buttons.
- Text boxes.
- Map and web views.
- Time and date pickers.
- Additional Topics
- Playing audio and video with the MediaPlayer.
- Custom List Views.
- Programatic animation and XML animation
- Web Services - text based and JSON.
- Drawing and animation.
- Geolocation - determining location and integrating to Google Maps.
- Creating home screen widgets.
- Interfacing to the camera - taking pictures and video.
Testimonials: What Other Delegates Say About This Course
"I am impressed by the course, the lecturer did not only give lessons about the course, but he also gave an overview of Java."
T. Sibanyoni, Denel Aviation (Lecturer: Lewis)
"Overall very pleased, great course! And Lewis was very knowledgeable on the course material and went the extra mile to also cover other very important concepts outside of the prescribed material. Excellent."
D. Combrink, Altech Netstar (Lecturer: Lewis)
"Enjoyed every minute, time flies when you are having fun! Lecturer excellent!"
C. Oosthuizen, Denel Aviation (Lecturer: Lewis)
"Thanks Lewis for another well presented course."
D. Nel, Private (Lecturer: Lewis)
How Do I Book?
After we have received your booking, we will send you a confirmation that you are booked on the course, an invoice and directions to the venue.
Tip: Most PDF readers, other than Adobe Reader, will let you save the form with the data you have entered. If you are using Adobe Reader, however, you might not be able to do this. But don't despair: when you have typed in the information, just print the file to PDF - and you'll have a completed enrolment form ready to email to us.